Let's start with the basics. What is the purpose of government? It's pretty straightforward, really. The Constitution lays it out in the very first sentence:
We the people of the United States, in order to
- form a more perfect union,
- establish justice,
- insure domestic tranquility,
- provide for the common defense,
- promote the general welfare, and
- secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity,
do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Those six things are what the government is supposed to do. No more, but certainly no less. So why do we have people who want to make government so small that it can be "drowned in a bathtub?"
Of course we want to keep our government under control. But too many politicians squawk that government is all bad — while they work like the dickens to get elected and be a part of it.