Immigration has been a political football for far too long, and my opponent is part of the problem. He proudly opposes any comprehensive approach to immigration reform, bragging to the Lincoln Times-News earlier this year that he “joined my House colleagues in refusing to even consider it.”
This is precisely the kind of complex issue we expect our representatives to deal with. I will work toward the following solutions:
- Support efforts at comprehensive immigration reform.
- Improve border security through technology and manpower as necessary.
- Scrap the idea of mass deportations — it is unrealistic and un-American.
- Oppose any plans to build a multi-billion-dollar wall along out 1,898-mile border with Mexico.
- Work to keep immigrant families together.
- Close private for-profit immigration detention centers.
- Create a rigorous path to legal status for the undocumented workers who are already here.